Tuesday, June 13, 2006

An Open Letter to NYC (thank you Beastie Boys)

I had my "official" goodbye to NYC this weekend. YG and I headed in [stopping first at Nordstrom's 1/2 year sale :-) ] and stopped at the W for overpriced but yummy cocktails, had dinner at Sushi Samba and drinks at Flute. We've done this a few times before and I don't care if it's cheesey or bridge-and-tunnelly -- it doesn't disappoint. Ms. Librarian joined us for a round of champagne as well, so that was nice. On Sunday, we got bagels, read the paper, and then went and sat in Union Square Park for a few hours with some eats we picked up at Whole Foods. Overall, low key but fun. I'm going to miss New York, but I'm looking forward to living in the city and being able to do this more often.

My unemployment has been treating me well, although I haven't been getting as much accomplished as I thought I would. I've been taking walks, riding my bike, reading and catching up on a lot of movies I Tivoed. Good: Crash, City of God, Dirty Pretty Things, Supersize Me. Not so much: The War at Home, Coffee and Cigarettes. I've also logged about a billion hours watched tivoed Yankeeographies since Yankee history is much more compelling than the not-so-hot Yankee present. I thought I'd spend more time getting together with friends and hanging out, but I'm having a hard time connecting with people. YG doesn't get why this is so sad for me, and to be truthful, it IS hard to explain the sometimes illogicallness (nice word) of feeling like a kid who is having a party that nobody wants to come to. On the good side, I have plans with some out-of-town friends this Thursday and am hanging out with NN and K and the zygote this Friday. And then I leave Monday. It still seems weird to write that. I leave Monday.

I leave Monday. :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you said zygote.