Saturday, September 30, 2006

It's Going to Be a Long Weekend

Warning: blah coming.

It took 6.5 hours to get home yesterday. Ugh. My plan was to get up early, have my new mattress delivered and get out of the house quickly, and then stop in New Haven if my two friends were available for a coffee break. That was the plan anyway.

Work was hectic, though, so I worked in the morning from home. Then I realized that I'd be away for the better part of a week, and the day I am coming home (a day I was originally planning to work from home) is the day that my house guest is scheduled to arrive. So I needed to clean the house so she wouldn't be sleeping on a cat hair carpet and/or sticking to the bathroom floor. I left later than I wanted, around 1 p.m. and decided that I wouldn't stop in CT and would just barrel though and get home early enough to hang out with my grandma and my mom. I completely forgot that this was a holiday weekend, though, and got to New York around the same time that everyone going home for the Jewish holiday was probably leaving. It took TWO HOURS to get over the Tappan Zee Bridge. TWO HOURS! I don't miss the traffic AT ALL.

I comforted myself by stopping at Palisades Center and getting a sweater at Forth & Towne, but I was just drained. I attempted listening to To The Lighthouse on cd, but the soothing British narrator was putting me to sleep so I went back to Sleater Kinney. :-) Met the family at Bennigan's and watched I Love the 80s with my mom and paid my bills. Glam.

Today was just errands and an exercise in total gluttony -- the way I usually eat when I'm at home. There is so much FOOD here. Everyone and their brother has sent a fruit basket or candy or cookies. It's comforting and horrifying -- my best dream and worst nightmare all in one. I did get out and run for a while, but I still feel like I weigh about a million pounds. I stopped by Nana's and I was offered a piece of cake (yum) followed by a roast beef sandwich (double yum). I should note that this was AFTER lunch. AND we're going out for a fancy meal because it's my parents 34th wedding anniversary and they want to try and do "normal" stuff and not focus on the fact that we have to do the wake tomorrow.

What else can I bore you with? I bought three new CDs: Snow Patrol, the new Yo La Tengo, and Steely Dan, new sweatpants, and an extra pair of sheets at Century 21. Even my purchases are boring today. Oh, and I got my eyebrows waxed and a blowout. And I caught up on work email. Woo hoo.

I'm not looking forward to the next two days. I know it's necessary, but it's really easy to pretend like nothing has changed when it has. And then I get divorced on Tuesday.

The obit ran today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hon, I'm thinking of you. Hope all goes well tomorrow, and then I am taking you out for a drink when you get back.
xoxo, Sol