Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Recently Read and Watched

Read
1. Dear American Airlines by Jonathan Miles -- I first heard about this book on NPR last year and immediately loved the concept of being inspired to write a novel while waiting at O'Hare Airport, where you ALWAYS end up delayed. It was a quick read, but great. I liked the main character even though he reminded me a little too much of drunken, sobbing poets I know. It's funny how you can love a character, but be less enamored by the real-life translation.

2. Writer Mama: How to Raise A Writing Career Alongside Your Kids by Christina Katz: Another quick read. It's much more suited to women who don't have other full-time work, but there were a lot of good tips on query letters and figuring out your target markets. I'm in the middle of that excercise right now, so it was helpful.

In other news, I got another rejection letter. But again, it was a personalized rejection. Woo hoo?

3. The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski: Oh, boy, did I love this book. Almost 600 pages and I finished in a couple of nights. It was the "it" book last year, and I didn't think I'd like it because really, 600 pages about dogs? I don't even like dogs that much. But the writing is so beautiful and vivid, and the dogs as characters are so interesting and intense. I knew it was a take on Hamlet, but I still gasped and cried a little at each plot twist. Highly recommended.

Watched

1. Rescue Me is back on. I think this may be my favorite show on t.v. Is Denis Leary a dick? Yes. Do I care? No.

2. We went to see the new Star Trek last weekend. This was YG's doing. He never wins in the "what should we see?" debates, so I indulged him and it was actually really good. Good story and plot. Attractive people do not hurt either.

3. I've been ordering My So-Called Life on Netflix. I remember the season this show came on. It was my freshman year of college and we would watch it in the room I shared with Steph in Lawrinson. NN and I were obsessed with it, and I still have letters from our first summer home, with quotes from the show scattered across the envelopes and margins. It holds up over time. I am still Angela Chase.

I am expecting a lot of Netflix time over the next few months.

No comments: