Tuesday, May 03, 2011

This Time Last Year, Five Years Ago, Ten Years Ago, Fifteen Years Ago

I saw this post, “This Time Last Year…” A Family Reflecting Activity, on Alphamom earlier today, and it put some of my latest headcake into perspective. I keep thinking that I am completely stuck and that things on the career front are never going to change, but a lot can happen in a year. Or five. Five years ago, my little family in this family reflecting activity didn't even exist.

This year we are waiting for Zygote 2.0 to make an appearance. We still live in Cambridge. We are enjoying Zygote's unique brand of Spanglish.

This time last year, we were getting ready for Zygote's first birthday. I was training for the half marathon. YG was training for his metric century. MG was finishing her first year of middle school.

This time two years ago, we were attending natural birthing classes and waiting for Zygote to make an appearance. YG had just transitioned into his new career.

This time three years ago, we were in France on our honeymoon. I had long hair. I didn't like it. The hair, not the honeymoon.

This time four years ago, we moved into this apartment after concluding that we would not find a place that would work for us.

This time five years ago, I still lived in New Jersey and quit the worst job I ever had. I was in the middle of divorce proceedings. I was looking to move to Boston to see if the whole thing with YG would work out. I found a job in a new industry.

This time ten years ago, I was preparing to leave my first apartment to move to Brooklyn and live in my grandparents' old place in Bay Ridge. I had just started grad school at night.

This time fifteen years ago, I decided to stay in Syracuse for the summer before my semester abroad. I took a poetry class and wrote a poem about Guinness. I was working at Brueggers Bagels. I hadn't met BB yet and had no idea I was about to embark on the funnest summer of my life.

3 comments:

Isabel @AlphaMom said...

love it and that you were inspired! really does make you focus on what were the important markers of that time....

BB said...

Holla! Oh, I mean, 15 years ago--wow!

S said...

I love this! I am totally stealing it.