Monday, May 22, 2006

Maybe Not Homeless (Except for 2 Weeks)

Up in Cambridge/Somerville area for today and tomorrow and I think I may have found someplace to live. I looked at six different apartments today. The first one I saw could have worked. It was in a big house, right near Tufts, and could have definitely fit all my stuff, but it was a little ragged looking -- lots of orange carpet, 70s'-style kitchen, and drafty windows. I thought to myself, "I could live here," but I didn't love it. It was less than a mile from Davis Square, though, so a good location. Everything else in Somerville that I saw was "charming" (read: small) -- lots of places I would have loved if this were my first apartment post-college, but since it's not, I have a hard time rationalizing spending $1650 a month for someplace that wouldn't hold ANY of my furniture.

I sort of fell in love, though, with a place right in Cambridge. Way more expensive, but very modern with 2 bedrooms, walk-in closets, two off-street parking spaces, and a POOL! It's walkable to all 3 squares and easily commutable. The only issue is the move in date -- July 1. My job starts on June 20 so I will be living out of a suitcase for 2 weeks. Kind of sucky. But with a mortgage (someone please buy my house) and rent, this might not be that bad. We'll see. I'm looking at a few more places tomorrow, but if none of them top this place, I'm going to take it.

On the move: I had lunch at a nice place and then got a pedicure -- a perfect day to feel really content about moving up here. I spent last night with YG and the MG too, and we had fun. She's a riot and is constantly giving me shit about liking the Yankees. They are supposedly "mean." The Red Sox, on the other hand, are "nice." Overall, I'm happy to be coming up here.

No comments: