Wednesday, March 16, 2011

My Rob Gordon Dream Jobs

You know that scene in High Fidelity where Rob's girlfriend discovers his list of Top Five Dream Jobs? That one spoke to me more than any of his other lists in the movie because I can definitely relate to having dream jobs that would require either a trust fund, learning some new skills entirely and/or would require a time machine.

Rob's Five Dream Jobs
NME journalist, 1976-1979
Producer, Atlantic Records, 1964-1971
Musician (any kind except for rap or classical)
Film director (any kind except for German or silent)
Architect (eventually changed to owner of a record store)

Ten Things I Have Often Thought I Might Want To Do or Wish I Did:
1. Be a member of Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling (G.L.O.W.), 1986-89
2. Radio personality on the "Lite at Night" just so I could say things like, "This one goes out to a special person working the night shift in Secaucus from Lady in Red in Weehawken. You know who you are. You're the meaning in MY life. You're the inspiration."
3. The person that whispers "Do it" in the background on Van McCoy's The Hustle, 1970s
4. Mike Nesmith's girlfriend on an episode of The Monkees, 1960s
5. Standup comedian
6. Lead guitar player (anything but country)
7. Roller derby captain
8. Barista and/or coffee shop owner
9. Writer/columnist
10. Soul-ravaging preacher, a bit like John Lithgow in Footloose, but without the 'no dancing, no drinking' rules.

Stripper with a heart of gold has also popped into my head at random times -- meet new and interesting people, 'exotic' lands, cash flow, days off. And professor. And professional organizer of sock drawers and sock drawers only. And COO. I swore I wrote this list before, but my search functionality is kind of crappy.

Perhaps I need think realistically about a list of jobs I might actually be able to GET.

1 comment:

Brian said...

GLOW! Loved this post.