Saturday, March 19, 2011

Transitional Phases

"Change is a situational shift. Transition is the process of letting go of the way things used to be and then taking hold of the way they subsequently become." -- William Bridges.


I spent the day on Cape Cod for my second annual Women's Retreat. This year's theme was 'The Way of Transition' and our transitions ran the gamut from becoming parents, losing parents, finding new work, retiring, living alone, aging gracefully, etc. Last year, I took Zygote with me. This year, I went alone and took advantage of the beach walks and small groups and the labyrinth. Yes, a meditative labyrinth. Yes, really. DON'T JUDGE ME.

I tried to articulate what my "primary" transition is and I spewed out some stream of consciousness rambling about learning how to be a parent and putting others first and figuring out what I want to do for work and figuring out how to have time for anything else that is not kids or work and trying not to have a second failed marriage and attempting to be available for the rest of the family and how to balance it all. Essentially, transitioning into being a grown up, rather than pretending like I am.

"I began to have an idea of my life, not as the slow shaping of achievement to fit my preconceived purposes, but as the gradual discovery and grwoth of a purpose which I did not know." -- Johanna Field.


Here's hoping.

No comments: