Sunday, March 01, 2009

Forty Days and Forty Nights

I've been thinking for a while about what I wanted to give up for Lent this year, but I came up with nothing. Last year, I gave up spending on extras like clothes and shoes and that was extremely tough. Yet rewarding. This year, with Zygote, I've already had to give up a lot of my vices -- wine, beer, buying tons of new clothes, caffeine, etc (and the crack and heroin ;-)) -- so what would be really hard? I briefly considered something abstract like "being negative," but that's nearly impossible. And then there's all those really nicey nice things like volunteering my time or helping people in need, and yeah...yeah. This is me we're talking about.

So I eventually decided that I'm not going to give up anything. I'm going to try and list something that I'm grateful for every day. That's not necessarily not being negative, but it does mean trying to find something to be thankful for every day, even when I'm knee deep in shit. And I think I can do it.

So today, I'm grateful for where I live. This may seem strange considering that we're able to get blanketed by another foot of snow tomorrow and I'm going to be trying to work, take care of MG and find someone to shovel all at the same time, but I love Cambridge. We still haven't eaten at all the great restaurants we want to eat at or explored all the bookstores or visited any of the Harvard museums. And spring WILL eventually come and that will mean more brunches outside and JP Licks and reading in the grass by the Charles.

No comments: