Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Today's Gratitude: Friends in The Arts

I had this long bitch post ready to go this morning about how it's 12 degrees and freezing and how I had to drive 80 miles this morning and how the pizza guy was an hour late last night and how I gained five pounds in a week and how gross my glucose drink was and.....well, sometimes you just end up in a good mood for reasons beyond your control. I was prepared to be bitchy and then I was not. Worked from home, caught up on a TON of work, listened to my happy, bouncy baby on the doppler. I guess this is why they call them mood "swings."

Tonight, I got to see my friend, SKB, perform in The Nose. It was great and interesting and weird. I am long past the point of caring whether or not I go somewhere by myself, and I struck up a conversation with the girl sitting next to me, who was there to support her friend singing in the chorus. I am grateful that I have so many friends still trying to make a living in The Arts. My day-to-day is about as far away from a creative life as you can possibly get, and I can sometimes get sucked into the racket. Between YG and I, we know quite a few singers, actors, writers, photographers, dancers, etc. It's inspiring, and helps me see that there is a life path other than the one that was prescribed to me (and that I unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on the day, followed). I am still sending my writing out there, and got an official rejection today on my travel piece. But it wasn't a form letter! Progress. :-)

Today, I am also grateful for my corporate whore lifestyle because it allowed to me to hitch a $28 cab ride back from Boston rather than take the T in the freezing cold and talk to the cabbie about his favorite operas. It's the little things that count.

No comments: