Sunday, April 03, 2011

The Anal Retentive Person's Interpretation of Psalm 23

Every time you go to a funeral, you hear Psalm 23. Even if you're not religious, you have probably heard "The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want...Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me." It's also in a lot of action movies.

I heard this version today, a Japanese translation from 1969.

The Lord is my Pace-setter, I shall not rush;
He makes me stop and rest for quiet intervals,
He provides me with images of stillness, which restore my serenity,
He leads me in the ways of efficiency through calmness of mind,
And His guidance is peace.
Even though I have a great many things to accomplish each day,
I will not fret, for His prescence is here,
His timelessness, His all-importance, will keep me in balance,
He prepares refreshment and renewal in the midst of my activity,
By anointing my mind with His oils of tranquility.
My cup of joyous energy overflows,
Surely harmony and effectiveness shall be the fruits of my hours,
For I shall walk in the pace of my Lord and dwell in His house for ever.


I think I like this one better. It speaks right to my little Type A nerdishness. Yes, I do have a lot of things to accomplish today. Thank you for noticing.

No comments: