Saturday, April 09, 2011

One Month In, Process, Etc.

One month ago, I started blogging every day. It wasn't really a conscious decision. I didn't set out to blog every day for Lent or anything similar that would set me up for failure. I just started and kept doing it. I did a similar journal writing exercise last year and kept it up for a good three months. Its demise coincided with my exile from the nursing/pumping room at work.

Without the pressure of YOU MUST WRITE EVERYDAY, I am enjoying this. Sometimes I have something to say. Other times, I want you to read what somebody else funny has to say. Most of the time, though, it comes down to having the time to articulate what I want to put down. I never edit these posts. I just write and post because I know that I don't have a huge fan base that is expecting brilliance or anything from me. But there are some things I would like to spend more time thinking about, and time is luxury right now. I know, I know. This is the easy part.

A few years ago, YG and I saw Salman Rushdie read in Cambridge. Uh, so, I still haven't gotten around to reading the book he read from, but I always remember what he said -- that if you don't have a burning need to write, don't bother. I have no real reason to want to be a writer and I haven't exactly made any sort of real effort to get my essays published and I am well aware that I am not the next Proust, so I could just let it go. But I feel that need to write, to document, to make sense of. I process everything through writing. I see things, as they are happening, as stories. I see myself as a character in my own story.

I don't know what it is that I need to say, but I do know that I need to write.

I'm hoping I can keep this going. See where it takes me.

No comments: